Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Our frugal forefathers used everything but the squeal at butchering time. Chitterlings (small intestines of hogs) are available at Southern butcher shops. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
- Wash chitterlings very thoroughly and cover with boiling salted water.
- Add cloves and red pepper.
- Cook until tender, about 90 minutes (add more water if necessary).
- Drain; cut in pieces the size of oysters.
- Heat oil or fat to 370F in a fryer or large skillet.
- Dip each piece in egg beaten with water followed by a dip into the cracker crumbs.
- Fry until golden brown.