1/2 Photos of Chrusciki - Polish Angel Wing Cookies
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Shilale's Note:
This delightful pastry was made by my Polish Grandmother every year for Christmas. Traditionally they were made for the last Thursday before Lent. They take a while to make but the time you put in to making these is well worth the reward!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a stand mixer, whisk whole eggs, egg yolks, butter and salt until thick and lemon colored.
- 2Slowly beat in the confectioner's sugar and brandy.
- 3Change to the dough hook and slowly mix in the flour a 1/4 cup at a time until the dough forms and pulls away from the bowl.
- 4Using the dough hook, knead the dough for 3-5 minutes. It should be thick like bread dough.
- 5Keep the dough in the bowl covered with a damp towel to keep it from drying out.
- 6Snip off a baseball sized piece of dough. On a floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thick at the most!
- 7Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch wide strips. Then cut the other way in a diagonal to make pieces of dough that are about 1 1/2 X 4 inches.
- 8Next use your knife to cut a slit in the center of each piece.
- 9To form the wing shape, take one pointy end and poke it through the slit. Very gently pull the end through the slit to form a bow shaped cookie.
- 10In a heavy pot or deep skillet, heat the fat of choice (I like lard) to 350°F Use a thermometer!
- 11Drop the cookies, 3 cookies at a time, into the fat. Drop 3 cookies at once not 1 at a time. The cookies will sink to the bottom at first then they will puff up and float a couple of seconds later. As soon as this happens use a couple of forks to turn them.
- 12Immediately after you turn them use a deep fry strainer to remove them from the fat to drain on brown paper bags.
- 13Dust the still hot cookies with confectioner's sugar and repeat, cooking 3 cookies at a time until finished.
- 14Store in tightly covered, wax paper-lined tins.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chrusciki - Polish Angel Wing Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.7
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.1 mg
- Sodium 46.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 1.7 g