Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe that has been in my recipe note book for years. If you see this then it was a keeper and recommended.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, broth drained and reserved
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, mince
- vegetable oil, for frying
Red Devil Sauce
- 10 1⁄2 ounces tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup clam broth, reserved
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 3 -6 drops hot pepper sauce
- Sift flour, baking powder. salt, pepper, and onion powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk 1/2 cup reserved clam liquid, milk, egg yolks, and 1 T. oil in a small bowl until blended.
- Add to flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Stir in clams, rice and green pepper.
- Prepare the Devil Sauce.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat until oil is 370F; adjust heat to maintain temperature.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl until stiff but not dry, fold into rice mixture.
- Carefully drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; fry, turning once, until golden, about 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels; serve with Red Devil Sauce.
- Devil Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot.