72 hrs 20 mins
Claire de Luna's Note:
OH MY! All I can say is, Claritha knows her fried chicken! I had heard about soaking poultry in a brine solution and during an internet search, came across this recipe. A true southern style recipe, we think this is absolutely the best fried chicken we have ever eaten. See you if don't agree!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off chicken wing tips, and reserve them for another use (stock).
- 2Arrange wings in one layer in a 9x13 inch glass baking dish and sprinkle them evenly with 1/2 cup coarse salt.
- 3Turn wings over and sprinkle with l/2 cup more salt.
- 4Chill wings for 2 hours.
- 5Rinse wings in a colander under cold running water and drain.
- 6(An alternative to this is to soak chicken wings overnight in a brine solution, using one cup salt and enough water to cover wings.) Arrange wings in one layer in a baking dish and thinly slice onions.
- 7Arrange onions over wings and pour buttermilk over onions.
- 8Chill wings, covered, at least 12 hours and/or up to one day.
- 9Discard onions and drain wings in a colander.
- 10Tear off an 18 inch sheet of wax paper and set aside.
- 11In a large shallow bowl, whisk together flour, peppercorns, cayenne, and remaining 2 tablespoons salt.
- 12Working with no more than 2 wings at a time, dredge wings evenly in flour mixture and shake off the excess.
- 13Arrange wings with the flat sides up, a few inches apart on wax paper and let stand 15 minutes.
- 14Get out a rack, brown paper bag, or paper towels, and set on a baking pan.
- 15In a large fish fryer set over two burners (or two heavy skillets), melt 2 cups shortening and 1/2 cup butter over high heat, just until butter begins to turn golden.
- 16Add the wings, flat sides down, and reduce heat to moderately high.
- 17Cook wings, covered, until deep golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 18Turn wings and cook, uncovered, until deep golden, about 8 minutes.
- 19With tongs, transfer wings to a rack set over pan, to drain.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Claritha's Fried Chicken Wings
Serving Size: 1 (856 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2190.9
- Calories from Fat 1640
- Total Fat 182.2 g
- Saturated Fat 60.5 g
- Cholesterol 330.5 mg
- Sodium 32229.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 75.7 g