Mrs Goodall's Note:
This is another great recipe from the Oct 2006 addition of Gourmet magazine. I've found so many wonderful recipes in this issue and this is no exception. I love coconut shrimp and the addition of club soda, makes this one special!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup asian sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (Madras style if you can find it)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (make sure it is still active!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 cup club soda
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 1/2 cups medium shredded unsweetened coconut
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left in tact
- 2Can be made 1 day ahead, covered and chilled.
- 3Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
- 4FOR SHRIMP:.
- 5Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- 6Add egg and club soda; whisk just until combined but still lumpy.
- 7Let stand 15 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, pour enough vegetable oil into heavy large saucepan to come halfway up sides of pan.
- 9Attach deep-fry thermometer to pan and heat oil over medium heat to 375 degrees.
- 10Line baking sheet with paper towels.
- 11Spread coconut on plate.
- 12Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dip into batter, allowing excess to driip back into bowl, then roll in coconut.
- 13Working in batches, deep-fry shrimp until cooked through, about 2 1/2 minutes. Ensure oil comes back to 375 before adding each batch.
- 14transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain.
- 15Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Coconut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Coconut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Shrimp With Sweet Chili-Lime Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (865 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.8
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 190.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce