Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another great recipe from the Oct 2006 addition of Gourmet magazine. I've found so many wonderful recipes in this issue and this is no exception. I love coconut shrimp and the addition of club soda, makes this one special!
- 3⁄4 cup asian sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (Madras style if you can find it)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder (make sure it is still active!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 cup club soda
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium shredded unsweetened coconut
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left in tact
- Can be made 1 day ahead, covered and chilled.
- Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
- FOR SHRIMP:.
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add egg and club soda; whisk just until combined but still lumpy.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour enough vegetable oil into heavy large saucepan to come halfway up sides of pan.
- Attach deep-fry thermometer to pan and heat oil over medium heat to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with paper towels.
- Spread coconut on plate.
- Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dip into batter, allowing excess to driip back into bowl, then roll in coconut.
- Working in batches, deep-fry shrimp until cooked through, about 2 1/2 minutes. Ensure oil comes back to 375 before adding each batch.
- transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.