An appetizing first course from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Jamie Shannon of Commander's Palace, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series. Tasso ham is a specialty of Cajun cuisine and is a spicy, peppery version of smoked pork made from the shoulder butt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces tasso, cut into 32 matchsticks
- 30 shrimp (jumbo, peeled, deveined and butterflied)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- vegetable oil, for frying (about 8 cups)
- 1 leaf lettuce leaf, for garnish (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Crystal Butter Sauce
- 1For the pepper jelly: Combine the vinegars and corn syrup in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- 2Reduce heat to a slow boil and cook until liquid is reduced by half (about 15 minutes).
- 3Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for ten minutes; remove from heat and let cool.
- 4For the butter sauce: Combine the first four ingredients together in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture is reduced by half; let cool to warm.
- 5Slowly add the butter, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly.
- 6The key to the sauce is to keep it warm (not hot) at all times.
- 7Preheat oil in a large saucepan or a fryer to 350°F.
- 8Place a piece of tasso inside the slitted shrimp and secure with a toothpick.
- 9Beat eggs and milk together until well blended.
- 10Dip each shrimp into liquid then dredge with flour.
- 11Deep-fry shrimp in batches about 4 minutes or until golden.
- 12Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- 13To assemble: Arrange 1/4 cup of pepper jelly on warm salad plate;.
- 14Dip shrimp into warm butter sauce to coat evenly.
- 15Place five shrimp on each plate in an attractive fashion and garnish with a bit of green lettuce.
Browse Our Top Spicy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spicy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Commander's Tasso Shrimp With Five-Pepper Jelly
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 956.0
- Calories from Fat 602
- Total Fat 66.8 g
- Saturated Fat 41.3 g
- Cholesterol 273.8 mg
- Sodium 747.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: