1/1 Photo of Conch Fritters: Bahamian Style
A friend of mine, Debbie, is from the Bahamas and she gave me this recipe. This is a traditional Bahamian recipe that is made with conch, the wonderful shellfish that is delicous but not so easy to find outside of the Bahamas. We, here in South Florida, are very close to Key West; the Conch Republic. These fritters are great as appetizers, finger foods or very tasty hors d'oeuvres to accompany your favorite rum punch or tropical drink! Conch can be replaced with any seafood. Make this batter with calamari, shrimp, imitation crab meat and lobster & see how awesome it turns out. Read about CONCH on the web, it's interesting. BEWARE - these are HOT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart oil (for frying)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- seasoning salt, to taste
- salt, to taste (optional)
- ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped conch
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1Heat the oil in large pot or deep fryer to 365F (185 degrees C).
- 2In a bowl, mix the flour, egg and milk.
- 3Season with cayenne pepper, seasoning salt, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- 4Mix in the conch meat, onion, red & yellow & green pepper, celery and garlic.
- 5Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- 6BE CAREFUL!
- 7Remove the basket or with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 8Now, is the time to slightly season, again.
- 9In a bowl, mix the ketchup, "lime" juice, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt & pepper.
- 10Serve dipping sauce on the side with the fritters.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Conch Fritters: Bahamian Style
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.7
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 108.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: