1/1 Photo of Copycat Mc Donald's® Famous French Fries
I found this recipe on another site and just had to save it here. My brothers and Father just love Mcdonalds french fries, so if I can make them at home for much cheaper it would be a win-win situation. I have not tried the recipe yet but will very soon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and hot water. Make sure the sugar is dissolved. Using a french fry slicer, cut the peeled potatoes into shoestrings. The potatoes should be 1/4" x 1/4" in thickness, and about 4" to 6" long. (You can do this with a knife, but it is alot of work).
- 2Place the shoestringed potatoes into the bowl of sugar-water, and refrigerate. Let them soak about 30 minutes.
- 3While they're soaking, pack the shortening into the deep fryer. Crank up the temperature to "full". The shortening has to pre-heat for a very long time. It will eventually liquify. After it has liquified and is at least 375°, drain the potatoes and dump them into the fryer. (be careful, it will be ferocious).
- 4After 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, remove the potatoes and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Let them cool 8 to 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 5While they're cooling, add the lard or beef drippings to the hot Crisco®. Again, crank the temperature to full. Stir in the lard as it melts into the oil. It will blend inches.
- 6After the deep fryer is reheated to 375°-400°, add the potatoes and deep fry again. This time for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place in a large bowl.
- 7Sprinkle generously with salt, then "toss" the fries to mix the salt evenly.
- 8Serve hot, serve immediately, and enjoy! Depending upon the size of the potatoes, this recipe make about 2 medium sized fries.
- 9Special Notes: If you want more fries, double the recipe---but DON'T double the cooking oil. Just cook them in shifts, adding about 1/4 cup more Crisco® and 1 tablespoon lard for the second batch.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copycat Mc Donald's® Famous French Fries
Serving Size: 1 (615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3051.0
- Calories from Fat 2884
- Total Fat 320.4 g
- Saturated Fat 81.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.1 mg
- Sodium 14.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 3.7 g