Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Blue-Ribbon Fare; July-August 2006. Suellen Calhoun charmed the judges with her to ode to summer corn. They loved the crisp fritters with the chunky herbed corn and sweet pepper puree. Country Home Magazine. Times are sketchy - some people may opt to use frozen corn or canned.
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels, about 6 ears
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small hot green chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth or 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, about 4 ears
- 1 cup very finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- cooking oil, for deep-fat frying
- 6 fresh cilantro stems (optional)
- 6 whole hot chili peppers (optional)
- In a large skillet bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil; add 3 cups corn.
- Return to boil; cover and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain; cool slightly.
- In a food processor, puree corn with the yellow pepper.
- In the same skillet heat olive oil; add onion, chopped chile, and garlic; cook over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Add corn puree and broth; simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and cumin; season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cover and set aside.
- Place 2 cups corn in a bowl; lightly crush with a potato masher.
- Stir in chicken, egg, milk, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- In another bowl combine flour and baking powder; stir into the chicken mixture just until moistened.
- In a deep-fat fryer or large saucepan heat 2 inches of oil to 375°F
- Drop scant 1/4 cup dough, a few at a time, into hot oil.**
- Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, turning if necessary, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- TO SERVE:.
- Place puree on 4 plates; arrange fritters evenly atop.
- Garnish with cilantro and whole peppers, if desired.
- Serve warm.
- **NOTE : Corn may pop and cause oil to spatter; watch carefully while frying these fritters.