1/2 Photos of Cornmeal Battered Fried Chicken
southern chef in louisiana's Note:
This crisp, golden coating is like a hushpuppy wrapped around every piece of chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the chicken and in large saucepan. Cover the chicken with slightly salted water and bring to a boil. After it boils, reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. (the boiling is done to almost cook the chicken so the cornmeal does not burn).
- 2Drain the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3For the batter: Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well. Add the egg, milk, and oil to the flour mixture; mix well until smooth.
- 4Heat oil for frying to 365°F.
- 5Dip the chicken pieces one at a time in the batter and gently shake off the excess batter. Carefully lower into hot oil.
- 6Fry 2 to 3 pieces at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning only once.
- 7Carefully remove and drain on paper towels, or paper bag.
- 8Keep warm while frying the remaining chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal Battered Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.2
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 236.7 mg
- Sodium 240.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 53.0 g