Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love fish this way. Next to good ole' deep fried batter dipped, it is my fave way to eat fish. This is very simple to make and tastes delicious. Also, it is very versatile, you can serve with almost anything: salad, rice, potatoes, beans, whatever suits you!
- 4-5 medium trout fillets (Catfish works well with this recipe also)
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml water
- 236.59 ml yellow cornmeal
- 59.14 ml nuts, finely chopped (any kind will do, but I prefer either almonds or pecans)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- vegetable oil (about 1 inch in a frying pan)
- Beat egg with water in a shallow bowl.
- Roll trout in the flour.
- In a small paper or large ziplock bag, combine cornmeal, chopped nuts, salt, pepper, paprika, and ground cumin.
- One piece at a time, dip fish in egg and then place in bag and toss to coat.
- Heat veggie oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry fish in oil, turning once, till both sides are brown (approx 10 minutes total).
- You can tell when the fish is done, because you can flake it with a fork.
- My hubby likes to sprinkle a little lemon or lime juice on his fish, but I like it just the way it is!
I just couldn't wait until the weekend to post this. This is the best fried fish recipe I have ever tried. I used catfish because that is what is readily available where I live. There is not a thing that I would change about this recipe. I recommend this to anyone who loves fish. I sure am glad I picked you for one of my chefs.
I really enjoyed the outcome of this recipe, simple to make and simply delicious. I omitted the cumin because I am not a cumin lover. The only other change I made was to fry the fish in olive oil and butter. I also like to squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top. The crust came out golden brown, crispy and light as air. I loved everything about it!
Well I have never made trout before so your recipe sounded very easy and a bit tasty with nuts and spices. Needless to say, it was a big success!!! The cafe boss ate a piece and said with such cooking I could open my own cafe, so I would like to say Thanks for a great recipe and for helping put another feather in my cap!!!