Entered for safe-keeping. Translated (by me) from caldanu.free.fr/cuisine/beignet.htm. Suggested wine accompaniment: Antoine Arena's Patrimonio rouge (Corsica's best wine, a red wine).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g cornflour (7 ounces, can pulverize corn meal to make cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- salt, to taste
- water, to make thick and elastic paste
- 400 g ricotta cheese (14 ounces, crumbled) or 400 g chevre cheese (14 ounces, crumbled) or 400 g goat cheese (14 ounces, crumbled) or 400 g other rather firm fresh cheese (14 ounces, crumbled)
- 30 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil (for frying)
- 1In a bowl, make a thick and elastic paste with the flour, salt, yeast and sufficient water.
- 2Add chopped mint leaves, and mix.
- 3Crumble the cheese and add to lightly beaten egg. Mix everything together well.
- 4Add 1/2 inch of oil to large heavy frying pan, and heat on medium-high until oil is very hot.
- 5Using a spoon, make small balls, and throw them in very hot oil in skillet. Brown for a few minutes.
- 6Dry fritters on paper towels, and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corsican Beignets With Cheese and Mint
Serving Size: 1 (656 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 51.4
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 13.8 mg
- Sodium 14.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g