Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. Translated (by me) from caldanu.free.fr/cuisine/beignet.htm. Suggested wine accompaniment: Antoine Arena's Patrimonio rouge (Corsica's best wine, a red wine).
- 200 g cornflour (7 ounces, can pulverize corn meal to make cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- salt, to taste
- water, to make thick and elastic paste
- 400 g ricotta cheese (14 ounces, crumbled) or 400 g chevre cheese (14 ounces, crumbled) or 400 g goat cheese (14 ounces, crumbled) or 400 g other rather firm fresh cheese (14 ounces, crumbled)
- 30 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- oil (for frying)
- In a bowl, make a thick and elastic paste with the flour, salt, yeast and sufficient water.
- Add chopped mint leaves, and mix.
- Crumble the cheese and add to lightly beaten egg. Mix everything together well.
- Add 1/2 inch of oil to large heavy frying pan, and heat on medium-high until oil is very hot.
- Using a spoon, make small balls, and throw them in very hot oil in skillet. Brown for a few minutes.
- Dry fritters on paper towels, and serve at once.