This chicken is very moist. I usually use Club crackers for this and love the buttery flavor in the coating. Leftovers (if there are any) reheat well on a baking stone in the oven. I sometimes make another version of the gravy and don't always use the soup. But, the flavor of this compliments the chicken well and is very easy to prepare. The complete meal is served with mashed potatoes, biscuits, corn and a tossed salad....dessert is usually pie!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pound the chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, using meat pounder or rolling pin; set aside.
- Combine flour and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Pour buttermilk into a second dish.
- Spread crushed crackers on a plate.
- Dredge chicken breasts, one at a time, in seasoned flour.
- Dip into buttermilk, then into crushed crackers to coat thoroughly, pressing with fingertips to adhere.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to oven safe platter or cookie sheet (I use a baking stone); place in oven to keep warm.
- Put remaining cracker crumbs into pan and lightly brown.
- Stir mushroom soup into drippings and crumbs.
- Combine remaining buttermilk and flour; add to soup mixture.
- Add additional milk as needed.
- Bring to a boil, stirring; remove from heat.
- Serve chicken accompanied by gravy.