1/3 Photos of Country Fried Steak
Everybody's got their favorite recipe for country fried steak, but if you don't-MAKE THIS YOUR FAVORITE!! It makes plenty of gravy and we like to serve it with mashed potatoes and corn fritters. Be sure the gravy is seasoned to your liking and add more salt or pepper if needed. Thanks to Top Secret Recipes, this is from Shoney's Restaraunt-never been there but this has to be a big seller=)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Country Fried Steaks
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (I like Johnny's)
- 2 cups water
- 16 ounces cube steaks
- vegetable oil (for frying)
For Country Gravy
- 1The gravy takes the longest, so start the gravy by combining the chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- 2As it is heating (but before boiling) be very careful and remove about a 1/2 to 1 cup of the hot liquid.
- 3Add flour to the liquid and whisk to combine.
- 4Pour the hot liquid/flour mixture back into the sauce pan and whisk til smooth.
- 5Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until thick. Stir frequently.
- 6While the gravy is going, heat oil in a deep fryer or large frying pan to 350°F Make sure to have enough oil to cover the steaks while frying.
- 7Sift flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoning salt together into a large shallow bowl.
- 8Pour water into another shallow bowl.
- 9Dredge each steak, one at a time, first in the water, then in the flour. Repeat this one more time so that each steak has been coated twice.
- 10When all steaks have been coated and the oil is hot, drop the steaks, one at a time, into oil. If needed, work in batches. (I usually do.).
- 11Fry for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Place on wire rack with paper towels underneath to drain. (This keeps 'em crispy).
- 12Serve the steaks hot with gravy poured over.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 1448.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: