Kozmic Blues's Note:
If your a fan of egg rolls like I am, give these a try. The asparaus gives them a nice crunch, and the crab meat mixed with the garlic and ginger gives the filling something extra special. The dipping sauces are fun. Beware of the peanut sauce, it's really HOT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 carrots, julienned
- 10 -12 asparagus spears, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 -4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 -4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- freshly ground white pepper
- 20 -25 egg roll wraps
- canola oil, for frying
Sweet Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup fish stock or 3/4 cup shrimp stock or 3/4 cup vegetable stock (your choice)
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemons, zest of
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, to taste
My Version of Duck Sauce
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 3 -4 tablespoons yellow mustard (can add ½ yellow and ½ Dijon or spicy honey mustard your choice)
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1For egg rolls: Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in wok or sauté pan over medium high heat.
- 2Add ginger and garlic, toss in oil.
- 3Sauté cabbage, carrots and asparagus for 1-2 minutes, to heat through.
- 4Add soy sauce, sesame oil and sauté for one minute more.
- 5Lower heat to medium and fold in crab meat and scallions.
- 6Add white pepper to taste.
- 7Keep over heat to warm through.
- 8Remove from heat, and let filling cool.
- 9Place egg roll wrapper in front of you, point down.
- 10Place about 3 tbsp of filling towards the lower half.
- 11Roll the bottom up, and the sides in, like an envelope.
- 12Fold over and seal the end of the egg roll with a bit of water to keep closed.
- 13Repeat until all egg roll wrappers are filled.
- 14Heat canola oil in wok or deep frying pan.
- 15I fry four egg rolls at a time and use just enough oil to cover the egg rolls about ½ to ¾ of the way over.
- 16Heat oil over medium high heat, to about 350 degrees, and fry egg rolls until golden brown on each side.
- 17Remove from oil and place on metal wrack or paper towels to drain excess oil.
- 18Serve with your choice of dipping sauces.
- 19For sweet soy dipping sauce: Combine all ingredients and stir to dissolve sugar.
- 20Allow to sit for at least one hour.
- 21Can be stored covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- 22For duck sauce: Combine mustard and apricot preserves.
- 23Ready to serve.
- 24For peanut sauce: Blend peanuts, soy sauce, chili paste, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and lime juice until mixed thoroughly, into a paste.
- 25Add as much as hot water is needed until sauce is at desired consistency, thinner or thick, depending on taste.
- 26Garnish with peanuts.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Asparagus Egg Rolls with Three Dipping Sauces
Serving Size: 1 (2893 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.3
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 591.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
red chili paste