Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe for freshly fried samosas filled with tasty spiced crab makes a dangerously irresistible snack that's sure to vanish quickly! Ideal for a drinks party.
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 -8 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons green chilies, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh crabmeat, flaked (thawed if frozen)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 24 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 ounces flour
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves, ground turmeric and ginger paste, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the crab meat, salt and chopped cilantro, mixing well, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Mix together the water and flour to make a flour paste.
- Fold a pastry sheet over to make a strip. Place a portion of the crab mixture in one corner of the pastry strip and fold the pastry over into a triangle. Fold the triangle along the strip, sealing the edges with the flour paste.
- Repeat the process making 24 samosas in all.
- Heat the oil for deep frying in a deep fat-fryer or wok until very hot. Fry the samosas in batches until golden-brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce.