An appetizing first course from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Mike Fennelly of Mike's on the Avenue, featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series. Eat these gems plain or wrapped inside a lettuce leaf with a little pasta and mint leaves. Either way, dip them in the sauce and savor. If you cannot find crawfish meat, please feel free to substitute shrimp. The nutritional numbers are slightly skewed as you won't be using the entire package of wrappers. Wrap the remaining rounds tightly and refrigerate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, de-ribbed and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 lb crawfish (tail meat)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 cup napa cabbage, julienned
- 1/4 cup spinach leaves, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 celery, julienned
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb spring roll wrappers (6-inch to 8-inch rice paper rounds preferred)
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 anaheim chilies
- 2 jalapenos, seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/2 cup fish sauce (Vietnamese fish sauce preferred)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1To make the spring rolls: toss the first 9 ingredients together; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Place a wrapper on work surface, brush with egg white and let stand a few seconds to soften.
- 3Place a spoonful of the mixture about a quarter of the way in from the top edge of the wrapper.
- 4Spread filling into a 3/4" x 5" rectangle; fold top of wrapper over and roll one turn.
- 5Fold in sides and complete rolling.
- 6Repeat until all the filling is used.
- 7To make the dipping sauce: whirl the first six ingredients in a blender or food processor until finely minced.
- 8Add next three ingredients and mix well; set aside.
- 9To cook the spring rolls: preheat the oil to 375F in a large sauce pan or fryer.
- 10Drop the spring rolls into hot oil and fry until golden.
- 11Remove to absorbent paper to drain well.
- 12Cut each roll into 3 pieces.
- 13To serve: Divide the sauce into individual bowls.
- 14Place spring rolls on sauce and garnish with carrot strips.
Browse Our Top Crawfish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crawfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crawfish Spring Rolls With Three - Chili Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.6
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 82.7 mg
- Sodium 1833.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 19.2 g