Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Crisco website.
Make and share this Crisco's Super Crisp Country Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) frying chickens, cut up or 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) use chicken pieces
- Crisco shortening (for frying)
- Combine milk and egg in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, garlic salt, paprika, pepper and poultry seasoning in paper or plastic bag. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time. Shake to coat.
- Dip chicken in milk-egg mixture. Shake second time in flour mixture. Skillet or deep fry in Crisco (see below).
- To skillet fry, heat 1/2 to 1-inch Crisco to 365° in electric or in large heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides. Reduce heat to 275° or medium-low heat. Continue cooking until chicken is tender about 30-40 minutes. Do not cover. Turn chicken several times during cooking. Drain on paper towels.
- To deep fry, heat 2 or 3-inches Crisco to 365° in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Fry chicken for 15-18 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- For extra spicy chicken, increase black pepper to 2 teaspoons and poultry seasoning to 1/2 teaspoon.
This recipe is great! I've made this for the first time years ago, it's still one of our favorites. The only trouble now is finding a 2½ to 3-pound chicken. Difficult to find one under 4 pounds. It's nice to see some of the old favorites coming to this site.
I just did an all out search for this recipe on the internet and I should have known it would have led me back to my favorite site! This recipe has been around since I first got married in the mid-70's and one we always loved. I too got it off the Crisco can. I always made it in an electric skillet and made the extra spicy version. Thanks so much posting. I will have easy access to it now!
I just had to try this recipe after watching the movie "The Help". It turned out great. The crispy skin and extremely moist meat made it taste fantastic.