1/1 Photo of Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts
Chef #591476's Note:
"I have tried so many versions of glazed doughnuts, and this one finally came out perfect! Just like the ones at my favorite doughnut shop."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Heat oil in a deep-frier to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2In a small bowl sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- 3In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed.
- 4Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl.
- 5Knead until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 7Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Gentlely place the doughnuts in the hot oil. Don't crowd the doughnuts.
- 8Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is at a runny consciencey.
- 9Fry the doughnuts until golden brown on each side. Dip in the glaze while still warm.
- 10Put a cookie sheet under a wire rack. Place the glazed doughnut on the wire rack and let the excess glaze drip off.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.1
- Calories from Fat 515
- Total Fat 57.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 178.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g