Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another good appetizer from my vegetarian days that we're bringing back into our diet. See what you think. It actually works better using non-silken tofu, which is less likely to break up.
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- peanut oil, for shallow-frying
Cilantro Tahini Dip
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons water (as needed)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and pat dry.Coat cubes with cornstarch.
- Fry in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown and crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Mince the ginger and combine in a blender or food processor with all remaining ingredients except peanut oil and sugar. Taste, then add the sugar if you like (we don't like sugar in the mixture). With the motor running, add the peanut oil.
- Pour the dip into a little bowl and serve with the tofu cubes. Provide toothpicks for neater dipping.