I had this thick and savoury soup at a dinner party one night. There wasn't a spoonful left by the end of the night!
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 cups pumpkin puree or 4 cups pumpkin pie filling
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups whipping cream (if you want to cut the fat) or 3 cups 2% low-fat milk (if you want to cut the fat)
- Use a large saucepan to sauté the mushrooms, onion and butter until onions are clear.
- Add flour and curry powder and blend, stirring for five minutes.
- Add stock, pumpkin, brown sugar and nutmeg, stirring until blended.
- Transfer to a blender and purée until smooth.
- Add milk or whipping cream.
- Reheat until hot.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable stock.
I thought the taste was excellent. Perhaps a little extra curry would be bettter for my personal taste. We used 2% milk and although it was very good, it would have probably been better a little creamier. I think whipping cream would be too thick. In Canada we have homogenized milk at 3.5% fat which would probably be ideal. Otherwise you could just add some cream to the milk. Very good soup!
I was just going to add this recipe and my recipe only has one difference which is 1 tbsp. honey instead of the brown sugar. I got the recipe out of Jersey Fresh.