1/1 Photo of Curried Veggie Samosa
We love spicy, ethnic foods at my house and this can be made as spicy as you like (or don't like). This recipe was created for my now extinct cafe when a Reggae band was playing. I've eaten these cold for lunch many times and they were wonderful. The dough recipe is great for fried pies or Jamaican patties as well. I always make double the filling so that I can just pull some out of the freezer when ready to make these so it's super easy. Also, many times I add more veggies to the potato filling to make it more interesting. It's easiest to fry these in a deep fat fryer but pan frying works great as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2MIx flour and salt.
- 3Add oil and mix until flour is like corn meal. (I do this in my mixer with the dough hook).
- 4Add water to dough mixing well. This will be a fairly moist dough. Knead dough 5 to 10 minutes until dough is soft and velvety (or beat in mixer).
- 5Cover and let stand 15-20 minutes.
- 6Knead again for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- 7Form into a long 1 1/2" diameter "rope".
- 8Cut into 1 1/2" slices. Form each slice into small "buns" and place on a floured board, covering with a damp cloth.
- 9When ready to fill and fry, flatten each piece to about 1/4" and then roll into a circular shape about 1/8" thick.
- 11Boil potatoes and mash.
- 12Saute diced carrots, minced onion, ginger root and garlic until tender and add to mashed potatoes.
- 13Add green peas and spices. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to personal taste.
- 14Place 2 tbsp filling into above dough circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half and seal edges well using a fork.
- 15Store filled samosa's on an oiled cookie sheet and cover with a damp cloth until ready to fry.
- 16Heat 3 cups vegetable oil over high heat until a small piece of dough drops to bottom of pan and pops back up immediately. Reduce heat to medium high at this point.
- 17Fry samosa's 3to 5 minutes each, turning once to brown evenly, placing on paper towels until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Veggie Samosa
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.8
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 120.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 2.3 g