This is actually a traditional Indian (Hyderabad) recipe eaten as a snack or at high tea. We make these Dahi Badas especially during Iftaar in Ramadan. This is my Mom's recipe, it has a Hyderabadi touch!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the badas (batter for the dumplings)
- 1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaf
- 1 -2 green chili, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
For the yoghurt
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 -2 chopped green chili
For Tampering (tadka)
- 1Mix all the ingredients for the batter (with water)and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- 2Mix the spices& herbs in the yoghurt; It should be of thin consistency.
- 3Heat oil in a frypan; Lightly drop the batter with a teaspoon or tablespoon depending upon your taste for the size.
- 4Deep fry to a medium golden brown and drop these into the yoghurt mixture, directly from the oil; Please be careful of the spatters while dropping the badas. Alternatively, you could drop the hot badas in salted water. Let them soak for 4-5 mins and press between the palms to take out excess water (please don't press too hard). And then transfer to the yoghurt mixture.
- 5Let them soak for 5-10 mins in the yoghurt mixture.
- 6Heat about a quarter cup oil and fry all the ingredients for 1-2 minutes; Be careful that they don't burn!
- 7Transfer this to the yoghurt mixture immediately and cover the lid.
- 8Your dahi badas are ready to enjoy!
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dahi Bada
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.8
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.4 mg
- Sodium 361.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: