Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pretty tasty-I add a bit of salt to the flour.
Make and share this Dairy Queens Onion Rings recipe from Food.com.
- 2 vidalia onions or 2 walla walla onions
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups fine cracker crumbs
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups Crisco
- Slice onions 1/2 inch thick, do not use the very small rings.
- In a large bowl add buttermilk and water.
- Take out rings one at a time and coat them with flour then with buttermilk, and then coat with cornmeal.
- Drop into hot oil and fry till golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
Made these with Walla Walla Sweet Onion and then used my new deep fryer. They were very good though I probably over cooked them a little. This was my first time ever deep frying so was happy with the results and even my very picky DGSs who NEVER eat onions ate them. The reason for the four star review is that I had some trouble with the directions. In the ingredients it lists fine cracker crumbs (I used panko crumbs instead) but I couldn't find in the directions where to use them - so I just mixed them in with the corn meal and it seemed to work great.