Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
The batter on these is very good. This complete recipe can be doubled
Make and share this Deep-Fried Buttermilk-Coconut Chicken Nuggets recipe from Food.com.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 5 ounces cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch square pieces (larger if desired)
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (more if needed for coating the chicken)
- oil, for deep-frying
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees, in a heavy pot, or deep fryer.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk and the beer; mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt; add to the buttermilk/egg mixture, mix well (batter should have the consistency of a thin pancake batter).
- Dredge the chicken pieces into the all-purpose flour.
- Then dip into the buttermilk mixture to coat.
- Then roll into the coconut.
- Deep fry until a light golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
These are amazing. I've made them about five times in the last months, twice for family gatherings and everybody just raved about them. I paired them with a sweet and sour sauce and also a pineapple sauce like you get with coconut shrimp at red lobster. Amazing!!