Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Made this for Fathers day. You need a deep fryer, an injector and a thermometer for this. This must be made out doors away from building on a bright sunny day.
- 12 -16 lbs turkey, washed dried inside and out
- 1⁄4 cup cajun seasoning, try my cajun spice mix recipe 92066
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- Take whole turkey place in deep fryer fill with water remove turkey.
- Mark the water line with a marker.
- Spill out water and dry careful not to remove marked line.
- Fill with canola oil.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a small pot melt butter and oil and fresh herbs and crushed garlic let simmer 15 minutes.
- Strained and set aside.
- Save garlic and herbs.
- Tie legs and wings with cotton string to keep them in place next to the body.
- Place the chopped strained garlic and herbs under the skin of the turkey.
- Inject the herbed butter-oil mixture into the breast and legs.
- Rub the cajun mixture inside and outside of the turkey.
- Place the turkey breast side up in lowering slowly into oil.
- CAUTION Of splattering oil.
- Fry turkey 3 1/2 minute per pound.
- Use a meat thermometer in the thigh and when it reads 180 degrees its done.
- Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels.
- Lets rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Carve and serve.
- I`m really sorry that I didn`t get a picture of the turkey before I carved it.
- So the carved picture is what you get for now.
- I`m making this for the Fourth of July so I hope to get the picture of the whole turkey then.
We thoroughly enjoyed using Rita's recipe for Deep Fried Cajun Turkey.
We have fried turkeys for the holidays for many years, but due to a recent move, our usual recipe was unavailable. Also, I failed to use a rub on the skin the day prior, so was desperate to find one that worked on short notice. I used the brand, "Cajun Shake" seasoning, and we were very pleased with the results. The turkey was moist and flavorful.