These cheese balls are great appetizers. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1985)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces shrimp, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped (canned or fresh)
- 1 pinch chili powder
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 -1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (for rolling cheese balls)
- 1In a medium bowl mix together cheese, shrimp, cilantro, chilies and chili powder. Form into 3/4-inch balls. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or deep fryer to 350-degrees F.
- 3Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a pie pan or shallow dish.
- 4Make a well in center of flour mixture and add water and 2 tablespoons oil, whisk to combine.
- 5In another pie pan pour in breadcrumbs.
- 6Dip cheese balls in batter, roll in breadcrumbs and then deep fry in batches.
- 7Drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Fried Cheese Balls
Serving Size: 1 (975 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.0
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.9 mg
- Sodium 98.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g