Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cheese balls are great appetizers. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1985)
Make and share this Deep Fried Cheese Balls recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces shrimp, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped (canned or fresh)
- 1 pinch chili powder
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (for rolling cheese balls)
- In a medium bowl mix together cheese, shrimp, cilantro, chilies and chili powder. Form into 3/4-inch balls. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or deep fryer to 350-degrees F.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a pie pan or shallow dish.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add water and 2 tablespoons oil, whisk to combine.
- In another pie pan pour in breadcrumbs.
- Dip cheese balls in batter, roll in breadcrumbs and then deep fry in batches.
- Drain on paper towels.
These were excellent. This will be the last fried dish I'll be making for a while, due to a 5 pound weight gain during the holidays. I doubled the jalepeno pepper for our own taste. We ate a few each and I froze the rest of them. I don't know how well they will freeze, but they should be okay, just until we lose the extra weight. I have about 3 pound left to go. Thanks Ellie May for a great recipe.