1/2 Photos of Deep-Fried Coconut Shrimp
5 hrs 5 mins
Plan ahead the battered shrimp needs to be refrigerated for a minimum of 5 hours or up to 24 hours before frying, make certain not to use longer shreds of coconut or they will not stick and please use a good-quality coconut for the shrimp, Mounds brand works well for this purchase uncooked shrimp with tails left on leave the tail on the shrimp!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1NOTE; the shrimp must be chilled for at least 5-24 hours (the longer chilling time the better it will be).
- 2In a medium bowl whisk egg with 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder until well combined.
- 3Prepare two separate bowls, place 1/3 cup flour in one bowl and the coconut in the other bowl.
- 4Holding the shrimp by the tail dredge firstly in flour shaking off any excess flour, then dip in the beer batter allowing excess to drip off.
- 5Roll the shrimp in coconut pressing down slightly with fingers to adhere the coconut to the shrimp.
- 6Repeat with all remaining shrimp.
- 7Place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 8Refrigerate for a minimum of 5-24 hours.
- 9Heat oil in a deep-fryer or in a large heavy pot to 350°F.
- 10Fry the shrimp in batches turning once until golden brown.
- 11Carefully using tongs remove to a brown paper bag or paper towels to drain.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Fried Coconut Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (1184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 248.1
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 48.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g