Plan ahead the battered shrimp needs to be refrigerated for a minimum of 5 hours or up to 24 hours before frying, make certain not to use longer shreds of coconut or they will not stick and please use a good-quality coconut for the shrimp, Mounds brand works well for this purchase uncooked shrimp with tails left on leave the tail on the shrimp!
- NOTE; the shrimp must be chilled for at least 5-24 hours (the longer chilling time the better it will be).
- In a medium bowl whisk egg with 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder until well combined.
- Prepare two separate bowls, place 1/3 cup flour in one bowl and the coconut in the other bowl.
- Holding the shrimp by the tail dredge firstly in flour shaking off any excess flour, then dip in the beer batter allowing excess to drip off.
- Roll the shrimp in coconut pressing down slightly with fingers to adhere the coconut to the shrimp.
- Repeat with all remaining shrimp.
- Place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 5-24 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or in a large heavy pot to 350°F.
- Fry the shrimp in batches turning once until golden brown.
- Carefully using tongs remove to a brown paper bag or paper towels to drain.