My Mother used to make this for us as a special treat. I don't know where she got this recipe or what it is called (hence the title). My husband loves this and encouraged me to submit it. This recipe is full of sugar and oil and is as unhealthy as a desert can be but very yummy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 2Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in milk, vanilla, egg and 2 tablespoons oil.
- 3Mix until smooth.
- 4Heat remaining vegetable oil to 400 degrees in a small deep fryer (a quart sized sauce pan will do in a pinch).
- 5Oil is hot enough when it starts to ripple.
- 6Be careful not to overheat.
- 7Butter one side of each bread slice.
- 8Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly onto the buttered side of the bread slices.
- 9Make sandwiches by placing the slices of bread together with the brown sugar on the inside.
- 10Cut the sandwiches into quarters.
- 11Now is a good time to test the oil by dropping in a very small amount of batter.
- 12Batter should sizzle and brown in about 20 seconds.
- 13Oil needs to be hot enough to melt the brown sugar inside the sandwiches but not so hot that it scorches the batter.
- 14Dip the sandwiches into the batter mixture.
- 15Using deep fryer tongs, carefully place the battered sandwiches into the heated oil.
- 16Be cautious when deep frying.
- 17Try to avoid burns from splattering hot oil.
- 18Remove Sandwiches from the oil when they are golden brown.
- 19Set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.
- 20Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Nutritional Facts for "Deep Fried Dessert Thingys"
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1663.3
- Calories from Fat 1294
- Total Fat 143.8 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 122.4 mg
- Sodium 1603.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 9.9 g