1/2 Photos of Deep-Fried Garlic Cloves and Green Olives
Published in the NY Times, adapted from "Roast Chicken and Other Stories" by Simon Hopkinson (Ebury Press, 1999)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put garlic cloves in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- 2Drain and repeat with fresh water.
- 3Drain and repeat once more, simmering about 5 minutes or until soft, testing often.
- 4Gently lift garlic cloves out of pan and drain on paper towels until cool. Meanwhile, place olives on paper towels to drain.
- 5When ready to cook, mix flour, salt and pepper on a plate.
- 6In a bowl, beat eggs. Spread bread crumbs on another plate.
- 7In a heavy pot, heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees: when hot enough, a chunk of bread will fry in 30 seconds.
- 8Working in batches, roll garlic cloves and olives in seasoned flour, then in beaten eggs, then in bread crumbs. Repeat process and drop into oil. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 9Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let oil come back to 375 degrees between batches. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Fried Garlic Cloves and Green Olives
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.3
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 558.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 9.0 g