Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was a first time recipe try out. My friends and I were having a X-mas party and when it came time to eat everyone raved about how moist and flavorful it was! So I would say give it a try. Enjoy!!!! LONNY
- 7 -10 lbs ham (bone in skin on)
- marinade (optional,anything injectable)
- peanut oil (for your deep fryer,aprox.5 gallons, less for a larger ham)
- Thaw ham completely and pat dry.
- (When deep frying moisture on the surface will cause a lot of oil popping and splattering, be careful) Marinade (if using) Inject whatever marinade you want to use into several place throughout the ham (I recommend 10-15 spots).
- Place the ham in the steamer basket that comes with most turkey deep fryers and CAREFULLY and SLOWLY lower the ham into the hot oil (350-375 degrees).
- There is a lot of water in the ham!
- Since I couldn't put it in otherwise you must cook the ham about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per pound depending on the size of the ham and how much it cools down the oil.
- Obviously a smaller ham will take less time if the oil is hotter and a bigger ham will take longer even with the oil hot.
- If when you start the oil cools down don't worry just watch the temp and adjust your cooking time.
- Also for a bigger ham you would want to use less oil in the deep fryer so it doesn't overflow when the ham is lowered in.
We tried this for Thanksgiving when frying turkeys. This came out wonderfully. Even the blackened outside tasted wonderful. We will do this again at Christmas time! Thanks for the great recipe!
I was hesitant, but I gave it a try anyway. This runed out to be a wonderful Easter treat! People couldn't keep away from the ham. Bear in mind, when the ham comes out of the fryer, it will have shrunk significantly, and be completely black...not to worry, it is mosit, juicy and awesome on the inside! Enjoy!