Invented in Scotland, this dish has now become famous worldwide. It is an excellent source of fat, sugar and calories. For a seasonal variation you could also try deep frying a Cadbury's Creme Egg.
- Chill the chocolate bar by keeping it in the fridge, but don't freeze it.
- Mix the flours and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) together.
- Add milk (traditional) or beer (which gives a lighter result) until you get a batter with the consistency of thin cream.
- Heat the oil until a small piece of bread will brown in a few seconds, but don't allow to smoke.
- Remove wrapper from chilled chocolate bar.
- Coat completely in batter.
- Carefully lower into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Serve, with ice cream or french fries, if you're so inclined.