Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been playing around with this recipe since I was a teen. I love to make these for friends and they say they are better than the restaurant version. Stacey
- Mix together the eggs and water, set aside.
- combine the Italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, dried oregano and dried parsley.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- in a separate container, mix flour and cornstarch.
- cut mozzarella cheese into any desired shape, rectangle strips are traditional.
- One at a time, dip mozarella slices into the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs, then the flour.
- fry sticks at 375 F until golden brown and serve with desired dipping sauce.
I made this tonight as an appetizer to the dinner I made for my fiance and I. I made a few changes, since I didn't want them to be too Italian flavored. I wanted them more along the lines of the way they taste from Denny's since those are my favorite. I used 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, & an egg + milk mixture. I kept the garlic, oregano, parsley amounts the same. I upped the salt and pepper to 1/4 tsp each. I went in the order of milk, flour, milk, plain bread crumbs. I also froze the string cheese (I made 5 pieces, cut in half) before battering. They came out really, really good this way! They tasted almost exactly like the one's from Denny's and luckily we had some left over restaurant ranch from when we'd ordered wings the other night. Now I don't have to go to Denny's just for their cheese sticks :P
I've made these several times now and after a few tasty yet messy mishaps, I've finally perfected the technique. My cheese kept bursting out of the coating before it was brown enough so I cranked up the heat to 400 and it worked perfectly. Also, I had accidently doubled the spices once and DH said they were the best cheese sticks he had ever had that time. Definitely resturant quality! I will be making these again and again!
These were quite good, everyone loved them.