Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep. time does not include the time to refrigerate the hot sauce for the flavors to blend well.
Make and share this Deep-Fried Oysters With Hot Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper
- 2 dozen oysters, shucked and drained
- oil (for deep frying)
For Hot Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (or half mayonnaise and half sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, preferable freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- white pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix together the ingredients for sauce.
- Cover closely and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Mix the cornmeal with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge the oysters in cornmeal.
- Deep fry in batches in oil heated to 375 degrees for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately, with hot sauce.
I use the same breading recipe as this but use equal parts flour and cornmeal. Loved the hot sauce!! I did add a little tabasco. The sauce went very well with the oysters. Thanks!!
Although I used another recipe to bread the oysters, I did serve them with the Hot Sauce recipe. The Hot sauce recipe had a great creamy texture and subtle blend of flavor with a little kick, yet it didn't over-power the flavor of the oysters. I added 1/2 tsp. hot sauce to the recipe, as we like hot & spicy foods. In fact, I'll probably add 1 tsp. next time. I will definitely serve this Hot Sauce with my next oysters.