This recipe is from "The Food Of Asia" a really beautiful book published in 1998. I have not tried this recipe - it is being posted in response to a recipe request for Thai appetizers.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 5 ounces lard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cauliflower, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon baby corn, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon cucumber, chopped
- 5 bird's eye chilies (or any fresh, hot chili)
- 2 shallots or 2 green onions, finely sliced
- Chop shrimp and lard together until fine.
- Add salt, sugar& bread crumbs and shape into small patties.
- Deep fry until golden brown& fragrant.
- For the accompaniment: Bring vinegar and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil- then cool.
- Add all vegetables, chilis& shallots- set aside.
- Serve with fried patties.