William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe was first tried at a Chinese Restaurant in Vancouver but under a different name. I made some changes to the recipe to bring out the flavors. Very easy to prepare and cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave tails on)
- 1/2 cup celery, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled,cored and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups olive oil or 2 cups peanut oil (for deep frying)
- 1Prepare shrimp, then rinse in cold water; drain.
- 2Place shrimp in a bowl and sprinkle with additional black pepper and salt and let dry while preparing other ingredients.
- 3In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt, pinch of black pepper, beaten egg and water and mix well to a smooth batter.
- 4Measure oil to a deep medium size saucepan or a frying pan and heat to medium-high heat.
- 5Dip shrimp into batter to coat well.
- 6Using tongs, hold shrimp by the tail and dip into hot oil for a couple of seconds so that the shrimp do not curl, then drop.
- 7Deep fry several shrimp at a time for about 2 minutes, turn over and cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- 8Remove shrimp onto paper toweling and set aside.
- 9Heat WOK to high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil, then add prepared vegetables, stirring well and saute' for about 2 minutes until vegetables are just partially cooked.
- 10In a small mixing bowl, mix together water, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce and tapioca starch until mixture is smooth.
- 11Add mixture to WOK, stirring constantly to coat vegetables and cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- 12Divide shrimp equally to individual serving plates and spoon vegetable mixture over shrimp.
- 13Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Fried Shrimp with Vegetables, Uncle Bill's Version of "
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1175.4
- Calories from Fat 992
- Total Fat 110.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 98.4 mg
- Sodium 624.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: