Scotch eggs are marvelous for travelers or picnickers! Take some spring onions to go with them and, if you've got plates, some chutney or mustard, for dipping. This recipe is taken from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 8 ounces top quality sausage meat (Jimmy Dean Sage Breakfast Sausage is good)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (green onions)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pinch mace (optional)
- seasoned flour, for dusting and coating
- toasted breadcrumb
- oil, for frying
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Hard-boil the eggs by covering them in cold water, bringing it to the boil, simmering gently for 9 minutes and cooling them under cold running water.
- 2Next, mix the sausage meat with the spring onions and herbs and season well. Then shell the cooled eggs and coat each one with some seasoned flour.
- 3Divide the sausage meat into four portions and pat each piece out on a floured surface to a shape of roughly 5 x 3 inches (13 x 7.5 cm). Now place an egg in the center of each piece and carefully gather up the sausage meat to cover the egg completely. Seal the joins well, and smooth and pat into shape all over.
- 4Next, coat them one by one, first in beaten egg and then thoroughly and evenly in the breadcrumbs.
- 5Now heat 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) of oil in a deep frying pan up to a temperature of 350-375 degrees F (180-190 degrees C). (If you don't have a thermometer, you can easily test the temperature by frying a small cube of bread- if it turns golden brown within a minute, the oil is hot enough). Put the eggs into the oil and fry for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently until they have turned a nice brown color. Drain on crumpled silicone paper (parchment), or paper towels.
- 6Serve warm or cold. May be served whole, or halved. Good with mustard or chutney, for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delia Smith's Traditional Scotch Eggs With Fresh Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.0
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 332.2 mg
- Sodium 806.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 24.7 g