Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
I use "Schneider's Juicy Jumbo" hot dogs for these, as they are quite large and hold well under the corn meal coating, I am not certain if they sell this brand in the states, if not just make certain that the hot dogs are a larger size. These are really good!
- Mix the first 10 ingredients in a bowl (if the batter is extremely thick then add in a litle more milk use just enough to hold the batter onto the hotdog do not add in too much milk or the batter will not hold on).
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish (I find that an 11 x 7-inch baking pan works well for this).
- Push the wooden skewers into the hot dogs.
- Roll/coat the hot dogs well with the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Deep-fry the corn dogs for about 2 minutes until golden brown (do not over fry as the corn dogs will have a burnt taste, 2 minutes should be enough time).
- Drain on paper towels.
These are great! I made them yesterday for my corn dog obsessed son, and he loved them. The batter is nice and thick and really stays on nicely in the fryer. These are way better than the boxed kind. The only change I made was to use regular skim milk, that's all I had, and I used organic beef hot dogs. Thanks for sharing.
I made these tonight for two twelve-year-old boys, my husband and myself. They had never had homemade corn dogs before and my husband was apprehensive. They gobbled them up and all three of them remarked on how good they were. Thanks for a great recipe that I'll be using over and over.