1/2 Photos of Double Dipped Fried Chicken
2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
This fried chicken is courtesy of Tyler Florence host of "Food 911" on the Food Network. The skin is very crunchy and flavorful, and the meat itself is very tender due to the buttermilk marinade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs frying chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons red pepper sauce
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups peanut oil, for frying
- 1Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2In a shallow platter, combine the buttermilk, water, and red pepper sauce.
- 3Soak the chicken pieces, turn to coat, then cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 4If time allows, marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours because the buttermilk promotes tenderness.
- 5Place flour in a shallow platter.
- 6Season it by mixing in salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, paprika, and cayenne.
- 7Roll the marinated chicken pieces in the flour, a few at a time, until well coated.
- 8Then, dip chicken in the buttermilk bath again followed by another coat of seasoned flour.
- 9Allow the chicken to sit in the flour and dry out while preparing the oil, this will help the coating stay on better.
- 10The buttermilk will keep absorbing the seasoned flour, which then fries up to form a crunchy crust.
- 11Heat oil in a large elctric skillet to 350 degrees F.
- 12There should be about 1-inch of fat in the pan.
- 13Carefully add the chicken pieces in a single layer, skin side down.
- 14Do not crowd the pan or the temperature will plummet; make sure the fat continues to bubble around the chicken.
- 15Fry for 5 minutes, then turn the pieces over and fry the other side 5 minutes.
- 16Turn again, frying a total of 15 minutes.
- 17The turning will produce a golden-crisp skin with even color.
- 18Remove chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- 19Do not put hot chicken directly in a bowl or container, the air won't circulate and the steam will cause the crust to fall off.
- 20Serve immediately or cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Dipped Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (855 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3166.2
- Calories from Fat 2502
- Total Fat 278.0 g
- Saturated Fat 54.4 g
- Cholesterol 302.8 mg
- Sodium 2216.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 88.2 g