Not an everyday eggplant dish but perfect for a once-in-a-while treat and a delicious way to enjoy eggplant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces eggplants, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable oil, plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1Combine 1/3 cup cornstarch with the flour in a resealable plastic bag and shake it well;rinse the eggplant, drain it and shake it in the cornstarch mixture in batches, placing it in a large bowl as it's coated.
- 2In a wok heat 1 cup of the oil over high heat until hot but not smoking; add pine nuts with a strainer, removing it as soon as pine nuts are golden; drain on paper towels.
- 3Add another 1 1/2 cups of oil to the wok and heat to 375° on a deep fat thermometer; fry eggplant in three batches, stirring and turning until golden, about 6 minutes; drain 5 minutes in a colander set over a bowl, then pour into a serving bowl.
- 4Stir the soy sauce, sugar, remaining teaspoon of cornstarch and the broth in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved.
- 5Remove the oil from the wok, wipe it dry with a paper towel and add the final 1 1/2 tsp of oil; heat and when hot stir-fry the gingerroot, scallion, garlic and chili sauce until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 6Stir the soy sauce mixture and add it to the scallion mixture; stir and bring mixture to a boil; add sesame oil and pine nuts; stir and pour over eggplant.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Stir-Fried with Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2744.0
- Calories from Fat 2612
- Total Fat 290.2 g
- Saturated Fat 36.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 300.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Asian chili sauce