Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe takes a bit of time to prepare, but is worth every moment spent. With the help of an Egyptian friend who does not cook but remembered the main ingredients, I finally developed this very tasty recipe that is enjoyed not only by the Egyptian persons but by all who have made it or tried it.
- 2 cups dried fava beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and quartered
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 3 large green onions, chopped small
- 3⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup deep fried dried onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds, lightly roasted
- 4 large radishes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large dill pickle, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 whole 6 1/2 inch pita bread
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce (, of your choice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- In a large-size saucepan, add fava beans and cover with water; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let beans soak overnight.
- When ready to use, drain.
- In a small saucepan, add quartered potatoes, cover with water and cook until done; drain.
- In a food processor or blender, process fava beans, onion, cooked potato and garlic cloves until smooth.
- Add coriander, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and process for a few seconds to blend well.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add chopped green onions, bread crumbs, deep fried dried onions, and baking soda; mix well to incorporate.
- With dampened hands, form mixture into balls the size of walnuts.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and flatten the formed balls slightly into patties.
- Measure roasted sesame seeds into a soup bowl.
- Dip flattened fava patties into sesame seeds, turn over to coat lightly with sesame seeds.
- In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil to medium-high heat.
- Carefully drop fava patties into hot oil and deep-fry for 2 minutes, turn over and deep-fry for another 1 to 2 minutes or until patties are cooked through and golden brown.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon onto paper toweling to drain.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add sliced radishes, chopped fresh parsley, diced tomato, diced dill pickle and diced jalapeño pepper and mix well.
- Wrap paper toweling around each individual flat bread or pita bread, place individually in microwave oven and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 30 seconds.
- Microwave remaining pitas in the same manner.
- Remove and cut pita at one end to form a pocket.
- Stuff 3 or 4 fava patties in pocket.
- Then spoon about 3 tablespoons of prepared vegetable mix into the pocket.
- Top with finely shredded lettuce and sprinkle with Beau Monde seasoning or you may use Seasoning salt.
- Serve immediately.
- You can also use canned fava beans but I prefer the dried fava beans the best.
- Note: Deep fried dried onions are available in most East Indian Grocery Stores. These are the best onions to use as they are crispier and crunchier than the ones that you can buy in cans.