William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe takes a bit of time to prepare, but is worth every moment spent. With the help of an Egyptian friend who does not cook but remembered the main ingredients, I finally developed this very tasty recipe that is enjoyed not only by the Egyptian persons but by all who have made it or tried it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried fava beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and quartered
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 3 large green onions, chopped small
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup deep fried dried onions
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, lightly roasted
- 4 large radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large dill pickle, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 whole 6 1/2 inch pita bread
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce (, of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1In a large-size saucepan, add fava beans and cover with water; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat and let beans soak overnight.
- 3When ready to use, drain.
- 4In a small saucepan, add quartered potatoes, cover with water and cook until done; drain.
- 5In a food processor or blender, process fava beans, onion, cooked potato and garlic cloves until smooth.
- 6Add coriander, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and process for a few seconds to blend well.
- 7Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- 8Add chopped green onions, bread crumbs, deep fried dried onions, and baking soda; mix well to incorporate.
- 9With dampened hands, form mixture into balls the size of walnuts.
- 10Place on a lightly floured surface and flatten the formed balls slightly into patties.
- 11Measure roasted sesame seeds into a soup bowl.
- 12Dip flattened fava patties into sesame seeds, turn over to coat lightly with sesame seeds.
- 13In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil to medium-high heat.
- 14Carefully drop fava patties into hot oil and deep-fry for 2 minutes, turn over and deep-fry for another 1 to 2 minutes or until patties are cooked through and golden brown.
- 15Remove from oil with a slotted spoon onto paper toweling to drain.
- 16In a medium-size mixing bowl, add sliced radishes, chopped fresh parsley, diced tomato, diced dill pickle and diced jalapeño pepper and mix well.
- 17Wrap paper toweling around each individual flat bread or pita bread, place individually in microwave oven and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 30 seconds.
- 18Microwave remaining pitas in the same manner.
- 19Remove and cut pita at one end to form a pocket.
- 20Stuff 3 or 4 fava patties in pocket.
- 21Then spoon about 3 tablespoons of prepared vegetable mix into the pocket.
- 22Top with finely shredded lettuce and sprinkle with Beau Monde seasoning or you may use Seasoning salt.
- 23Serve immediately.
- 24You can also use canned fava beans but I prefer the dried fava beans the best.
- 25Note: Deep fried dried onions are available in most East Indian Grocery Stores. These are the best onions to use as they are crispier and crunchier than the ones that you can buy in cans.
Nutritional Facts for Egyptian Falafel - Pita Pocket Filler
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.3
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1612.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.4 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 24.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
deep fried dried onions
beau monde seasoning