Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- Mix milk, sugar, salt and shortening.
- Heat until shortening melts, but don't boil.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in flour 2 cups at a time, beating until smooth.
- Place dough into a greased bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Dust hands with flour.
- Pinch off pieces about the size of golf balls.
- Roll into thin 6-8 inch circles.
- Fry one at a time until it rises to the surface.
- Turn and fry until light brown.
- Drain in paper.
- Sprinkle generously with sugar and/or cinnamon& sugar.
Was a great Sunday morning treat that the kids could help with...it taste good too!