Found this recipe and thought it looked great; can't wait to taste the plum dipping sauce! :-) It is Emeril's recipe, but I modified a seasoning, to suit my tastes. This recipe was taken from foodnetwork.com and posted for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup very cold water (Ice cold is best)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup plum preserves
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot, cut on the bias 1/4
- 1 1/2 cups snow pea pods, stringed
- 1/2 cup fresh porcini mushroom (thinly sliced, stemmed)
- 1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom (thinly sliced, stemmed)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion, cut on the bias 1/4-inch thick
- 1Lightly coat the chicken strips in the cornstarch, shaking to remove any excess; set aside.
- 2In a large pot or wok, preheat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- 3In a bowl, beat the egg with the cold water; add the flour and 5 spice powder and mix lightly and quickly just until smooth. (Do NOT overbeat).
- 4Dip the chicken into the batter, shaking to remove any excess.
- 5In batches add to the hot oil and fry, turning, until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 7Plum Sauce:.
- 8In a saucepan, combine plum preserves, vinegar, shallots, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and 5-spice powder, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- 9Stir, reduce the heat and simmer until thickened and the flavors are married, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 10Remove the plum sauce from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Let cool to room temperature.
- 11Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables:.
- 12In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar, and set aside.
- 13In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over high heat.
- 14Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- 15Add the carrots and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 16Add snow pea pods and mushrooms and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- 17Add the green onions and soy sauce mixture and stir to coat. Cook for another 45 seconds, stirring.
- 18Remove from the heat and serve with the Tempura Chicken Fingers and Plum Dipping Sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Chicken Tempura With Plum Sauce and Stir-Fried Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 121.3 mg
- Sodium 1143.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 45.4 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
snow pea pods