Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this recipe and thought it looked great; can't wait to taste the plum dipping sauce! :-) It is Emeril's recipe, but I modified a seasoning, to suit my tastes. This recipe was taken from foodnetwork.com and posted for ZWT.
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup very cold water (Ice cold is best)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup plum preserves
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot, cut on the bias 1/4
- 1 1⁄2 cups snow pea pods, stringed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh porcini mushroom (thinly sliced, stemmed)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom (thinly sliced, stemmed)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion, cut on the bias 1/4-inch thick
- Lightly coat the chicken strips in the cornstarch, shaking to remove any excess; set aside.
- In a large pot or wok, preheat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with the cold water; add the flour and 5 spice powder and mix lightly and quickly just until smooth. (Do NOT overbeat).
- Dip the chicken into the batter, shaking to remove any excess.
- In batches add to the hot oil and fry, turning, until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Plum Sauce:.
- In a saucepan, combine plum preserves, vinegar, shallots, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and 5-spice powder, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Stir, reduce the heat and simmer until thickened and the flavors are married, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the plum sauce from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Let cool to room temperature.
- Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables:.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar, and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over high heat.
- Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add snow pea pods and mushrooms and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and soy sauce mixture and stir to coat. Cook for another 45 seconds, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and serve with the Tempura Chicken Fingers and Plum Dipping Sauce.