You can serve falafel as a appetizer with tahinah for dipping or as a sandwich in pita bread with lettuce and tomatoes with tahinah and hot sauce
- 1⁄2 lb dried garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1⁄4 cup cracked wheat (bulgher)
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (or as needed)
- oil (for frying)
- Soak garbanzos overnight in 2 liters of water.
- Next morning, drain.
- Place in a large pot, cover and water, add 1 Tbs salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain and allow to cool Soak the cracked wheat in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Put in food processor as follows: Place garbanzos in container and process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the onion, cut into chunks and place in container along with parsley and garlic.
- Process until finely chopped.
- Add onion mixture and cracked wheat to garbanzos in mixing bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice and spices, mixing well.
- Add bread crumbs until mixture is firm enough to hold a shape.
- Shape mixture into 1" balls.
- Fry in deep hot oil until light brown and crisp.