Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fried dough in my German grandmother's tradition. A treat for Fat Tuesday.
Make and share this Faust Nachts recipe from Food.com.
- Warm 1 cup milk. Add yeast and sugar. Stir and set aside.
- Melt butter. Add remaining milk. Heat to warm.
- Add slightly beaten eggs.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Add flour, use hole technique, using spoon then hand to mix and knead until dough does not stick to sides of bowl. Add flour if needed.
- Transfer dough, clean bowl, butter bowl with room temperature butter. Move dough back to bowl; turning dough to cover in butter.
- Cover bowl with lightweight, dry towel. Set aside for 2 hours or it doubles in size.
- Punch it, divide it into balls the size of baseballs. Set on wooden board.
- Cover dough balls for about an 1 hour.
- Heat Oil.
- Stretch dough and fry. Turn as dough browns. Remove when both sides brown.
- Add 1/2 cup 10X sugar to doubled, brown shopping bag. Place faust nacht in bag and shack. Kids love to help in this step.
- Freeze leftovers before sugaring.