4 hrs 30 mins
Fried dough in my German grandmother's tradition. A treat for Fat Tuesday.
My Private Note
faust n ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Warm 1 cup milk. Add yeast and sugar. Stir and set aside.
- 2Melt butter. Add remaining milk. Heat to warm.
- 3Add slightly beaten eggs.
- 4Add yeast mixture.
- 5Add flour, use hole technique, using spoon then hand to mix and knead until dough does not stick to sides of bowl. Add flour if needed.
- 6Transfer dough, clean bowl, butter bowl with room temperature butter. Move dough back to bowl; turning dough to cover in butter.
- 7Cover bowl with lightweight, dry towel. Set aside for 2 hours or it doubles in size.
- 8Punch it, divide it into balls the size of baseballs. Set on wooden board.
- 9Cover dough balls for about an 1 hour.
- 10Heat Oil.
- 11Stretch dough and fry. Turn as dough browns. Remove when both sides brown.
- 12Add 1/2 cup 10X sugar to doubled, brown shopping bag. Place faust nacht in bag and shack. Kids love to help in this step.
- 13Freeze leftovers before sugaring.
Nutritional Facts for Faust Nachts
Serving Size: 1 (3137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 709.2
- Calories from Fat 500
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 71.4 mg
- Sodium 382.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 7.7 g