Give this Asian mix a try! Yes! 1 teaspoon of the 5 Spice goes a long way! As long as it is fresh!!!!!! You'll find this enticingly sweet and spicy just like your spouse.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add nuts and blanch for a quick 30 seconds. Drain well, and transfer to a medium bowl. While nuts are still hot and slightly wet, add powdered sugar and toss to coat. Continue stirring and tossing until all the sugar has “melted” into the nuts; if bits of un-melted sugar remain on the nuts, they will not fry properly. So be sure it coats each nut.
- 2In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat about 1 inch of oil to 350°F
- 3Stir the nuts again before frying. Using a large Asian Strainer.
- 4or slotted spoon, transfer a few nuts to the hot oil, allowing the foam to subside before adding another spoonful. (Otherwise, the oil could foam over and burn you.Not a good thing!) Fry in small batches until the nuts are medium brown, about 30-45 seconds; be careful not to overcook. Use a Asian Strainer or slotted spoon to remove the nuts from the oil, and scatter them on an unlined baking sheet to cool slightly.
- 5In a small bowl, stir together the five-spice powder with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of freshly ground pepper.
- 6While the nuts are still warm, transfer them to a bowl and sprinkle evenly with about half of the spice mix. Toss well to distribute the spices and then taste a nut. Add more spice mix to taste, and toss well after each addition. When cool, pack into an airtight jar.
- 7They will keep at room temperature for at least 2 weeks if no one knows they are there!
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Spice Glazed Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: