Flautas are meat-filled tortillas rolled up and fried like a chimichanga. These make a nice appetizer with salsa and sour cream...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped poblano peppers or 1/4 cup anaheim chili
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground cinnamon (optional - add for a spanish flair)
- 1 dash ground cloves (optional - add for a spanish flair)
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- cooking oil (for deep frying)
- 1In a nonstick frying, pan cook meat until no pink remains.
- 2Drain excess fat and add pepper, onion, and garlic cook until veggies are tender.
- 3Stir in oregano, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- 4Cover and cook over low heat for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove from heat and set aside.
- 6Heat a nonstick pan at a medium-low heat.
- 7For each flauta: warm a tortilla on each side in the pan (until it bends readily, not to brown it).
- 8Spread 2 tablespoons of the meat filling across the center of the tortilla (all the way to the edges).
- 9Roll up so that the filling is in the middle and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- 10In a medium to large saucepan, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to med-high heat.
- 11Fry 3 or 4 flautas at a time (don't overcrowd) about 3 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- 12Turn as required to brown them evenly all over.
- 13Use tongs to lift the flautas from oil and tip to allow excess fat to drain out of each end.
- 14Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 300F oven while frying remaining flautas.
- 15Remove toothpicks and serve with salsa and sour cream.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flautas
Serving Size: 1 (822 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.3
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 27.6 mg
- Sodium 335.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: