This is the recipe you've been looking for! It makes a perfect sesame chicken. This excellent recipe comes out perfect every time with little fuss and inexpensive ingredients you probably have on hand. This recipe is truly restaurant quality... try it, you won't be disappointed! (Recipe courtesy of "Reykjaviky" at All Recipes)
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 drops sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup white vinegar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce) or 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar (we use 1/2 cup sugar but the orginal recipe called for 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (or more)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- peanut oil (3 1/2-4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients (the first 9 ingredients listed) and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce:.
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
- To deep-fry the chicken:.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and then place chicken in warm oven (130 degrees) while you continue frying. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken. Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
- Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve the Sesame Chicken with rice.
This was GREAT! However, DO add 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1/8 tsp of garlic powder to the sauce. Other reviewers said they thought that something was missing and I think that was it. Thank you so much for this recipe, I've tried other highly rated chinese recipes from this site with huge disappointment. This was delicious and my kids and DH actually ate it all!
This was an excellent dish but i would make a few changes the next time i make this.. which is why i gave it 4 stars, instead of 5.
i substituted half honey and half sugar for the sugar completely, but next time i will substitute all of honey for the sugar. Also, 2 tbsp of sesame oil was alot.. so next time i will only use 1 tbsp.
The marinade was enough for only 2 breast pieces, but there was enough gravy for 3 breast pieces. So i'll be increasing the marinade to be enough for 3 pieces. i didnt have any chilli paste on hand so used chilli sauce instead.
Thanks for the recipe Princess! This will be made often in our house!!
hells yeah, this recipe makes deliciousness happen