Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cheesy fried broccoli. A real kid pleaser. Recipe from Crisco.com
Make and share this Fried Broccoli Melt recipe from Food.com.
- shortening (for deep frying)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 tablespoons grated American cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups broccoli florets, cleaned and dried (you can steam them first to have a tender texture or just use raw)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat 2 or 3 inches shortening to 365°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons cheese and onion powder in large plastic bag.
- Add broccoli.
- Shake to coat.
- Combine buttermilk, baking powder, remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 tablespoons cheese and salt in small bowl.
- Stir until smooth.
- Dip several broccoli pieces in batter.
- Drain off excess.
- Fry a few at a time in Crisco Shortening heated to 365°F.
- Fry 1 or 2 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Turn as needed for even browning.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
Izzy, Thanks for the great recipe,these crispy bites were sooooo good,I also did some cauliflower,and mushrooms.GREAT!!! Thanks again, Darlene Summers
I made these using cheddar cheese instead of American. We thought they were good, but just not quite salty enough. Next time I'll add more salt than the recipe calls for.