Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Crispy, tender, mouthwatering calamari....need I say more?
Make and share this Fried Calamari recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb cleaned calamari, cut into rings
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal or 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I like garlic and parsley flavored)
- oil (for frying)
- First, coat the calamari rings in corn meal, shaking them out to get rid of any excess.
- Then dip them into a mixture of the eggs and garlic.
- Lastly, dip them into the bread crumbs mixed with salt, coating them well, and shaking off any excess.
- Up to this point may be done in advance, and the calamari rings refrigerated for a couple of hours, until you are ready to fry.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil (the secret to crispy calamari is hot, hot oil, just below the smoking point.) Fry the rings (in batches) about 1 minute, or until they are golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- If you have a deep fryer it's best, but otherwise, make sure the oil is deep enough to cover the calamari.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, garlic mayo, and marinara sauce.
This an excellent recipe, CG. It's Calamari Fritti, the real thing and absolutely delicious. No calamari fan should miss this one.
The canary sings! A delicious recipe; I eliminated the egg and just used cornmeal to bread, and it worked wonderfully.
We tried it last night and all liked it. It tasted so delicious yet very easy to make and simple to prepare.